A few days belated, but definitely worth the wait! I finished the sewing on my 1780 outfit about five minutes before I had to put it on this morning. A few of the pieces aren’t 100% completely finished, but they’re wearable and they look great! I had a lovely day at South Street Seaport, and totally geeked out about the Hermione the whole time like the huge nerd I am. She was absolutely gorgeous and I am in love.
The Challenge: Out of your Comfort Zone
To begin today’s post, I present you with one of Google’s more questionable associations… So that happened! Also, I found a perfectly-sized basket to carry with my 18th century outfit! Someone was getting rid of it on my block and it was just sitting out on the stoop. I picked it up on the way to work and carried it around with me for the rest of the day. I couldn’t figure out why I was getting weird looks, but apparently casual basket-carrying is not common outside of Colonial Williamsburg… Anyway…
It needs a press, but it looks nice!
After working on my super awesome red shoes, I was so excited to get started working on the rest of this outfit. I immediately started working on a shift, which I figured wouldn’t take me more than two or three days…but it ended up taking about a week and a half. I did a lot more of it by hand than I originally intended to – because speed is of the essence on this project, I am trying to work as much on the machine as possible without any machine finishing being visible on the outside of garments – and as much hand sewing as I do, I am not very quick at it. So it took forever, but the shift has hand-finished seams and hems, which look quite nice! I used this tiny rolled hem tutorial for the neckline. I’m probably going to press it flat, but it made it very easy to sew a teeny tiny hem! Continue reading